The position of eyebrows can be lowered by nature or with an acquired characteristic. For an inborn case, low lying eyebrows weigh down the upper eyelids so it is not easy to open the eyes and you may feel tired or having trouble studying. Also, you get into a habit of raising your eyes with your brows so your forehead has deep lines in spite of you being young. Drooped eyebrows give a dark and stifling impression.
For an acquired case, there are many cases with aging of soft tissue on the forehead. In addition to droopy eyebrows, fine wrinkles around the forehead, the bridge of the nose, and crow's feet are noticeable. You feel that your eyes are heavy and appear fatigued.
If the eyebrows are sagging, muscles of the forehead should be used to lift drooped eyebrows when you open your eyes. At this moment, as stretched forehead skin agglomerates together, the wrinkles of the forehead become thick. On the contrary, since the eyebrows fall in a drooped way in your sleep, the skin below the eyebrows (the bridge of the nose, crow's feet, and the inside and middle of the eyelids) becomes tight, causing the wrinkles to deepen.
As the eyebrows droop downward, the eyes and eyebrows become close giving a powerful, dark and stifling impression. As one gets older, skin elasticity is lacking and skin sags, and the eyebrows also droop downwards. In particular, if the eyebrows droop a lot, it weighs down the eyelids, blocking your view, which is not a good psychological look.
Outline of Solutions
There are a few ways to correct droopy eyebrows effectively.
For a non-operative method, there are some operations for elasticity (HIFU-Ulthera or RF-Thermage), and Botox can weaken the muscles around the eye rims and the middle of the forehead which cause the eyebrows to sag. For a surgical method, there is lifting of forehead tissue including the eyebrows with an endoscopic scalp with minimal incision. In addition, we can approach droopy eyebrows through hairline incisions or the outer region incisions.
These methods are applied not only to people who are above middle age, but also young people whose eyebrows and eyes are too close by nature so that they always feel fatigued and tired, giving a stifling impression. This can create bright, cool eyes and a good image of the upper face.
Simple surgical procedure
Botox, which weakens the muscle groups around the eyes and middle of the forehead causing sagging eyebrows, is helpful for anti-aging with upper facial parts.
In the case where forehead skin is thin, losing its elasticity and the eyebrows are drooped, it is effective to apply a specialized program for elasticity to the dermis and subcutaneous tissue as well as the skin. For the outer part of the skin, Glass Fractional laser can be applied with an operation. For the dermis and subcutaneous tissue, HIFU (ulthera) or RF (thermage) is used.
It can be done within a short period, and its greatest strength is that it won’t affect your daily lives. The effect gets better as time goes by. So if you are reluctant to change your impression all of a sudden, or if you do not have enough recovery time after surgery, you can consider this.
Endoscopic Eyebrow Lifting with Minimal Incision
According to the level of the eyebrows and the skin’s state of sagging, there is a difference between detailed surgery techniques. However, it is basically similar to “forehead lifting”. It is a way of applying to the forehead, eyebrows, and the temporal region an endoscope and 5 minimal incisions in the back of the hairline. It is easily recommended for men with thinning hair or short hair because it has hardly any incision scarring.
After we loosen up a ligament and its adhesion part, holding a drooped forehead with an endoscope, we arrange and adjust muscles of the upper facial part which create the wrinkles in the middle of the forehead, the bridge of the nose, and the eye rims as well as a droopy forehead. This enables the result to remain stable for a long time.
In the case where we notice that the skin and muscles around the eye rims are sagging, we arrange ligaments around the eye rims and weaken the muscular coat with macroscopic and endoscopic approaches, and then we pull it with double fold lifting. With absorbent bone screws or endotine, we fix the shifted scalp tissue to an ideal position.
Other Scalp Incision Lifting
- It is the most natural way to shape along the hairline. About a month after surgery, hair and soft hair begins to grow around incision sites, so surgical scars will not be an issue. You cannot see hidden scars behind the hairline around the temporal region. For a person who has a broad forehead and is in the middle of M shape hair loss, this fine hair growth will help lower the hairline down, thus creating a narrower forehead and also clearing the hair loss scalp area.
Through incision lines, we smoothen wrinkles by clearing away sagging skin on the forehead. Clearer eyes are made by applying a double fold lifting of the muscles of the tail of the eye, and an additional endoscope is used around the outer corner of the eyebrows. After we design the incision sites to look natural again, we suture the incision finely.
Outer hairline (Temporal region) minimal incision
- It is mainly recommended in the primary stage when the forehead is sagging (or eyebrows drooping) or when the outer of eyebrows is drooping. Surgical scars are largely unseen because of 4cm mini openings behind the hairline or the hairline of the temporal region. We create clear and bright eyes and move eyebrows to the right positions, smoothening wrinkles at the same time.
- If the muscles of crow's feet droop a lot, we add double fold lifting with an endoscope and make clearer eyes.
Precautions after surgery
- If you feel nauseous right after surgery, please call us to prescribe additional medicine.
- In 2-3 days after surgery, after we remove the bandage and drain, we disinfect the incisions and wash your hair. After that, you can style your hair.
- Then, you can shampoo at home once in two or three days.
- After you spread an ointment to the stitched area, bend your upper body backward and wash your hair with a shower (avoid a scalp massage). After drying your hair (with a towel or dryer with cold air), please remember to apply ointment to the stitched area once again.
- The stitches on the scalp are fully removed in 7-8 days after surgery.
- As the condition of the forehead may deteriorate after surgery, you should avoid ice and heat massages.
- It is recommended to make your upper body a little higher (15-30 degrees) or sit to relieve swelling.
- So as not to have a bloodshot face, you should avoid bringing up your blood pressure or lowering your head.
- Please apply ointment to the stitched area with a clear hand once or twice a day (until two days after removing stitches).
- If you have transplantation of fat on the forehead or the temporal region together, you should be careful not to press or touch the surgical spot, if possible.
- For the first 2-3 days, it is good to take a rest for rapid recovery.
(Please do not lie on your side at night.)
Recovery after surgery and Return to your daily life
- In the second week: most bruises and 70% of the swelling fade away. It is possible to do light exercise or walk briskly for a little while.
- In the fourth week: it can be possible to have your hair dyed or get a perm. (Please avoid pulling your hair or rubbing your scalp.)
- In the sixth week: it is possible to do strenuous exercise or to use light skin care. (Be careful not to have a meridian massage rubbing the skin.)
- In the eighth week: you can have a sauna and go swimming.