나As one gets older, soft tissue on your face begins to lose its elasticity and fat and soft tissue on the face droop downward. This is because the middle facial region, soft tissue, fascia (SMAS) supporting the soft tissue and ligaments are losing elasticity and are stretching.
In particular, as the front cheekbones and the skin and its surrounding tissue around the cheeks droop, the front cheekbones and the cheeks look hollow and indian wrinkles, nasolabial lines, and smile lines deepen with a double chin appearing. This change stands out usually in your thirties and forties.
Q & A
Q Would it be all right to pull with a simple string?A
There have been efforts both in Korea and around the world to use thread lifts on facial wrinkles. Their effects have been unsatisfactory, unnatural and short lived, so we don’t really recommend thread lifting here at Dream.
Q Isn’t it possible to remove the skin and simply pull?A
Facelifts in the past used to only lift the skin, but the surgical results tended to be unnatural and short lived and caused side effects such as elongation of the earlobe, widening of surgical scars and deterioration of skin texture. This method is no longer being used now.
Q Where is the scar formed?A
The scar is thin and faint like the scar from an incisional double eyelid surgery. The scar goes about two centimeters in the hairline above your ear into the ear and ends in the wrinkle where the earlobe meets your face.
If the procedure is combined with a neck lift, there will be additional scars below the chin and behind the ear, but they are very fine and almost invisible.
Q Please give us some surgical information briefly.A
The surgery time can range from 2 hours to 6 depending on the severity of aging and procedures added (neck lift, fat graft, acculift, skin laser etc).
It is usually performed under sedation, but sometimes general anesthesia is involved as well. You can return straight home after the surgery but it is more common to stay for a day in the hospital to recover before going home.
All bandages in the facial area are removed around 2-3 days post-surgery and our staff will provide you with a medical shampooing service. All stitches are removed 7-12 days post-surgery. 70% of the swelling subsides after 2 weeks and most bruising fades by then as well, allowing you to return to normal social activities.
If the skin sagging is limited to a small area or not very severe, it can be corrected by a mini-face lift or a MACS lift performed with short incisions. These procedures come with minimal swelling and bruising, allowing for quicker return to normal daily activities.
Q What is the most advanced surgical technology of Dream Medical Group?A
We apply the high SMAS facelift developed by Barton, the world’s leading specialist in facial wrinkle correction, or Bendelson and Stuzin’s extended SMAS facelift according to the needs of every individual case. These methods are recognized by the Korean Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons as the most effective procedures that ensure the most stable results.
These methods involve the least scarring and reposition the SMAS (Superficial muscular aponeurotic system), expressive muscles and fat tissues to ideal positions, improving the contours of all the soft tissues in the facial area. Then the skin is smoothened and repositioned naturally with the excess being incised away before being sutured back.
The sagging soft tissues of the facial area are lifted, giving the face a slimmer contour. The effect can be complemented with autologous fat grafts to depressions in the nasolabial folds and augment volume in the frontal cheekbones and cheeks. It can also be combined with micro liposuction and accusculpt laser to correct areas with an excess of soft tissues.
Mini lift, MACS lift
It is considered in some cases, including cases of relatively young people in their early thirties to forties, whose degree of sagging is not that severe, in cases of people who have thin soft tissue on their face and their skin is rather hollow, and in cases of people who need rapid healing after surgery.
After we lift the skin layers through the minimal incision, we focus on the spot where fascia (SMAS) is sagging and this leads to a better, effective and stable result. In the academic conference of the Korean Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, this technique comes into the spotlight.
In addition to removing loose folds of soft tissue, auto-transplantation of fat is often implemented together for parts with shrinking and hollow fatty tissue. As extracted cells are somewhat old autologous fat cells, we apply fat transplantation to add growth factors and stem cell fractions to maximize the survival rate. In order to regenerate skin texture which is low in water content due to its degeneration and thinness, fractional laser and techniques applying HA filler and growth factors on the dermal tissue of the surface layer can be implemented together. By resolving every cause of aging on the face, we can produce a natural and stable result.
We can make your face livelier and brighter by using a method which is personalized through minimal incision, and you’ll have a narrow, young facial feature including the jawline.
Bilamellar Composite SMAS Face Lift
If your face soft tissue is sagging excessively, or if your face is thick and/or fleshy, it is recommended to use this method. This can create a broad treatment effect and a more stable result.
This method is applied to restore facial age naturally by repositioning the sagging soft tissue due to aging. After we approach through a pro-otic incision line passing through the earhole and arranging the drooping fascia (SMAS) and the skin texture safely, we help pull it to a previous position using HIFU and RF to make the subordinate tissue more resilient. Thereafter, we arrange the extra skin at the last step.
Dream Medical Group connects three kinds of soft tissue including the orbicular muscle of the eye surrounding the eyes, platysma around the neck and fat on the cheeks with the skin layers and arranges them safely and lifts them upward. At the same time, we are using bilamellar composite SMAS face lift to relocate fascia.
With this face lift, we lift the sagging cheeks and the skin of front cheekbones and resolve the indian wrinkles, nasolabial lines, smile lines and a double chin so that you can have young and narrow lines on the jaws and the face.
In addition to removing loose folds of soft tissue, auto-transplantation of fat is often implemented together for parts with shrinking and hollow fatty tissue. As extracted cells are somewhat old autologous fat cells, we apply fat transplantation to added growth factors and stem cell fractions to maximize the survival rate. In order to regenerate skin texture which is low in water content due to its degeneration and thinness, fractional laser and techniques applying HA filler and growth factors on the dermal tissue of the surface layer can be implemented together. By resolving every cause of aging on the face, we can produce a natural and stable result.
The face lift is not an easy operation; however, Dream Medical Group can renew your youth naturally and harmoniously with their vast experience and know-how.
- Anyone in their mid-thirties and older, has decreased elasticity of the skin causing them to acquire wrinkles and drooping skin.
- In cases where the skin on the cheeks is sagging and nasolabial lines deepening, this results in looking older than one’s actual age.
- If your line of the lower jaw looks heavy like a square jaw and your face seems larger due to extra flab
- In cases where one wants to improve a sagging face and soft tissue of jaws effectively after a contour and bimaxillary operation.
- If you want to remove implanted substances from the face
- If you do not achieve the desired effect using substances (stings, plates)
- If you want a long lasting lifting effect which is stable
Precautions After Surgery
- If you feel nauseous after surgery, please call us to prescribe additional medicine.
- On the second day after surgery, we remove the bandage and drain, and we disinfect the incision and wash your hair. After that, you can wash your hair at home once in two or three days.
- On the seventh or eighth day after surgery, pro-otic stitches are removed. On the twelfth day after surgery, the stitches on the scalp and behind the ear are fully removed. (Put a little ointment on the stitched area. And bend your head back with an erect posture, and then shampoo with a shower (do not massage on your scalp). After drying your hair with a towel or a hair dryer with cold air, all you have to do is apply ointment again on the stitched area with a clear hand).
- As the condition of the forehead may deteriorate after surgery, you should avoid ice and heat massages.
- Lying with upper body being elevated (15~30 degrees) or sitting is helpful to reduce the swelling and recover.
- To prevent a bloodshot face, you should avoid elevating your blood pressure or lowering your head.
- Be careful not to yawn loudly or turn your head quickly.
- Please apply ointment to the stitched area with a clear hand two or three times a day.
- As ear lobes do not heal readily, you should be careful after removing the stitches for a while.
- If you get fat transplantation together, you should be careful not to touch or press the face.
- Taking a good rest is helpful for rapid recovery for the first week. (Please do not lie on your side at night).
Recovery after surgery and Return to your daily life
- In the second week: most bruises and 70% of swelling fade away. It is possible to do light exercise or walk briskly for a little while.
- In the fourth week: it can be possible to have your hair dyed or get a perm. (Please avoid pulling your hair or rubbing your scalp).
- In the sixth week: it is possible to do strenuous exercise or to use light skin care. (Be careful not to have a meridian massage rubbing the skin).
- In the eighth week: you can have a sauna and go swimming.