Botox is a neurotoxin extracted by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum produced by prepared meat products like canned food. Botox blocks the release of acetylcholine (neurotransmitter triggering muscle contractions) from the neuron in the connecting part with the muscle. Botox can be used to paralyze the muscles reversibly and to prevent the muscles from moving or weaken muscle strength.
Botox has been used as a medicine for strabismus by an eye doctor since 1989, when the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved it. Since then, it has been used to treat neuromuscular disease such as facial tic and muscle rigor. Now, it is commonly used to remove wrinkles on the face with the development of a medical science.
Benefits of Botox
- Botox has an excellent effect, but it is not permanent. The beneficial effect lasts only 5-6 months after surgery. It can be done at a low cost relatively compared to rhytidoplasty or laser decortication, and it is safe and convenient making the patients satisfied.
- Like all the medicine, some side effects occur. It is good to consider everything carefully with doctors for plastic surgery in advance of surgery. However, potential side effects include bruising and a slight headache but it is only temporary, so you do not need to worry about this.
- There is no specific precaution before injections.
- It is recommended not to apply make up at the injection area if possible, however, even though you wear makeup, it is okay to remove your makeup on that site.
- For a patient who is worried about the pain, we apply anesthetic cream at the injection area 30 minutes before injections.
- Patients will be able to resume normal activities immediately. There is no usual sign apparently.