Causes of hair loss
Hair loss consists of unscarred hair loss and cicatricial alopecia. Any kind of burn or an accident can cause cicatricial alopecia, and unscarred hair loss occurs, resulting from malfunction of follicles causing male-pattern baldness or circular hair loss not physical trauma. The causes of male hair loss are mainly heredity, male hormone and aging.
Male hair loss begins in a district pattern, usually with center back and temporal part of the head. In case of anyone who experiences hair loss earlier than others or who has severe hair lose, it can cause negative effects in their social life and they themselves are so stressed considering it as their own complex. Some male-pattern baldness is treated with medication at the beginning, while it is treated with a way of hair transplant when hair is thinning to some degree.
Circular hair loss which makes a coin shape in the center of the crown mostly is said to occur caused by mechanisms of autoimmunity. Also mental stress will cause hair loss considerably. In order to treat circular hair loss, adrenocortical hormones are injected into a site with hair thinning or the entire region.
Unscarred hair loss caused by physical trauma such as various accident or diseases is a condition of hair loss permanently. Many kids of treatment can be used for this condition by region with hair loss.
- In the past, hair loss used to be a symbol of elderly, so it was not a big problem in a traditional society where we respect the elderly. Today, hair loss is no longer virtues and cannot give a good impression apparently. Also, it may impose social restrictions including depriving of opportunities due to looking older.
- Hair loss causing a mental stress can start both men and women. Most of them are androgenetic alopecis, commonly called male pattern hair loss. Hair loss can be divided male pattern and female pattern according to its types. Male pattern hair loss starts the front hairline and extends to the back and continues to proceed. Female pattern hair loss often develops from the center of the head and spreads to all direction with hair thinning and decreased density even though it is less than the male pattern hair loss.
- It is desirable to determine the time of a hair transplant operation after the shape of baldness is completed. As the operation time is too late, psychological distress may increase. Therefore, it is important to arrange the surgery time in accordance with the hair loss condition through fully discussing with a doctor. If you think that your hair thickness does not change a lot for about six months, you can have the greatest result through the hair transplant operation.
- Eyebrow transplants are surgical procedures designed to restore growing hair to eyebrows that are overly thin by nature or favored by people wishing to have satisfied eyebrows. It is used to offer eyebrow restorations for a site with absence of hair due to physical trauma or tumors. Our face is easily noticeable with or without the eyebrows because the eyebrows can influence on the entire facial image. In addition, as the eyebrows have a great deal of effects on our impression, they may look obscure or give a wild and negative impression.
- As the eyebrows thickness was a standard of beauty before, tattoo was in great demand. Today, owing to the development of hair transplant technology, the eyebrows can be implanted from a patient's own hair. Eyebrow transplant can be applied to eyelashes. If you are not satisfied with short and thinning eyelashes or you lose your eyelashes due to an accident or physical trauma, you can have newly beautiful and long eyelashes.
- Atrichia is not a rare hereditary disorder characterized by loss of hair shortly after birth among women. It is reported that between 5% and 10% out of women population is in this case. It can be considered to be no big deal at first thought, however, you are always conscious of the eyes of others when you have to take off clothes in a public bath or a fitting room. If this discomfort lasts in everyday life, it can aggravate stress as well as influence dating. Atrichia can meet with satisfied results through hair transplant. Is there any woman who is suffering from this disorder? Do not feel like two cents. In order to improve the quality of life, see a doctor bravely. Today, social prejudice of atrichia is changing a lot, and women with atrichia are more aware of it. More and more women are getting a pubic hair transplant actively.
- Hair transplant is a surgical technique that involves moving hair follicles from one part with hair loss behind the ears. Punch graft procedure is where 5~10 hair strands were transplanted at once in the past. Today, however, implantation of 1~2 hair strands called micro transplant and implantation of 2~4 hair strands called mini transplant are mostly used. The front hairline part is mainly applied for mini or micro transplant, while the punch graft is used for the crown of the head or female patter hair loss.
Hair transplant is hard work to remove between a few strands and thousands of strands separately behind the ears at once and to implant them by hair root. This is why it takes long time to do and it needs a lot of people. As the result is natural and satisfying, it is commonly used for male patter hair loss.
Hair transplant is a surgical procedure that involves removing hair roots behind the ears with local anesthesia as many as they need, and a doctor divides into a single hair root and implant in the scalp as a design. Duration varies depending on the number of hair roots, however, it usually takes 1 1/2 ~3 1/2 hours. Within 3 weeks after surgery, around 2/3 hair comes off by itself, which you do not worry about it because hair grows again after about 3 months.
- Tissue expansion is a surgical procedure to stretch the skin beyond normal expansion by applying force. Individualized expander is inserted under the skin near the area to be repaired and then gradually filled with salt water next 1~2 weeks intervals, causing the skin to stretch and grow for about 2 months.
Once normal scalp is grown as needed, areas of hair loss is removed and replaced by normal expanded scalp skin. It has an advantage of resolving the areas with large hair loss only within 2~3 months. However, as you may look odd during the skin expansion treatment, it is not proper for a person who is in full play of social life.
As expansion technique has developed these days and the expender continues to develop, it can be possible to shorten the expansion period between 2 weeks and 1 month.
- Scalp reduction is a surgical hair restoration procedure that removes bald scalp and stretches hair-bearing scalp upward to replace bald scalp that has been removed. This is a way of reducing areas with hair loss and the number of hair transplanted by using hair transplant together. It is a good treatment to cover the area of hair loss which can be made as a parting.
Scalp reduction is usually made 1~2 days before hair transplant. If one-off scalp reduction is not enough to cover the areas of hair loss, scalp reduction will be made again 3~6 months after surgery. The younger the age, the better its elasticity results. Therefore, if it is applied for people in their 20s and 30s with hair transplant, they have a good result.
- You should shampoo at night before surgery and in the morning on the day. (It is not recommended to apply hairstyling products.)
- You should avoid having your hair too short. (You need to have at least 3cm back hair.)
- If you have a lot of gray hair, it is good to dye your hair black in the back of the head. (When it is separated with a microscope, it may be difficult to separate due to its transparent color.) If you use hair growth solution named minoxidil, you should stop applying it for 3~4 days before surgery.
- You should stop taking vitamin or aspirin containing vitamin E and using blood coagulation such as Ginko biloba from a week before surgery.
- You should consult with a doctor about your disease or any medicine that you are taking prior to the surgery.
- You should avoid eating food including water 3 hours before surgery owing to sleep anesthesia.
- Three days prior to the surgery, you should stop drinking alcohol.
- It is good to prepare a hat to cover the surgical site. (not to wear too tight one)
- A bandage or gauze is wrapped around after surgery, and it is fully removed one or two days later. 48 hours after hair transplantation, you can shampoo your hair. For about a week, you may gently water your hair and then you can rub your hair.
- About two weeks later, the scab peels away. From that day, you should apply prescriptive medicine on your head.
- It seems that hair falls out, but the fact is that only surface hair falls off and hair root remains. After 3 ~4 months, hair starts to grow from the transplanted hair root.
- Eventually, hair will tend to follow the nature of new growth hair in the transplanted areas.